Volunteering at Esperanza
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Esperanza Health Center! Since Esperanza’s founding over thirty years ago, volunteers have been an integral part of the Esperanza Health Center team in a wide range of roles, helping Esperanza fulfill our mission to provide affordable, compassionate quality health care and services to our community.
Apply to Volunteer
- If you are a medical or health professions student who is interested in a rotation, preceptorship or shadowing opportunity with us, please visit our Student/Resident Rotations page to learn more.
- Please visit our Medical Student Mentoring Program page to learn more about this mentorship opportunity with Esperanza.
We currently have opportunities to serve in the following volunteer positions (updated 12/4/2021):
Medical Administrative Volunteer
An administrative volunteer is sought to support the Medical Department, primarily by faxing clinical
documents to patient resources, outside medical specialists, etc. Skills needed:
- Highly organized
- Computer literate
- Able to follow directions, problem-solve and work well with others
Schedule: We seek an administrative volunteer to serve twice weekly or more for half a day on a regular basis. This position is available at both the Hunting Park and the Kensington sites and reports to the Clinical Supervisor.
Patient Screening Volunteers
Volunteers are urgently sought to provide support at the entrances to Esperanza Health Center’s sites. Volunteers will obtain a contact-free temperature and ask patients questions regarding potential COVID symptoms and/or exposure. Skills needed:
- Spanish is highly preferred
- Ability to follow directions
- Attention to detail
Patient Relations Volunteer
Volunteers are sought for a project to assess and improve staff members’ interactions with patients. Openings exist at all three sites for this project.
1. Attention to detail
2. Spanish is a plus but not required.
Schedule: Ideally, patient relations volunteers would be available every other week or more frequently. Presently there are opportunities multiple days of the week.
Readers are needed to read to children in pediatric waiting rooms. Readers also engage children with paper bag puppets.
1. Interest in and willingness to interact with children and their caregivers
2. Understanding that children in the clinic can be noisy, messy or sick
3. Ability to read in English; Spanish is a plus but not required.
Schedule: Ideally, reading volunteers would be available every other week or more frequently. Presently there are opportunities to read to children multiple days of the week.