Volunteering at Esperanza
Thank you for your interest in volunteering at Esperanza Health Center! Since Esperanza’s founding over thirty years ago, volunteers have been an integral part of the Esperanza Health Center team in a wide range of roles, helping Esperanza fulfill our mission to provide affordable, compassionate quality health care and services to our community.
We currently have opportunities to serve in the following volunteer positions:
1. Learning Pod Volunteers
Volunteers are sought to work with children in Esperanza’s Learning Pod in the Hunting Park area.
Recreational volunteers will play with children and help direct their recreation 3-5:30pm. Skills needed:
- Ability to relate to children
- Ability to engage children in positive recreation and games
Tutors will assist students with learning and homework and are needed 9am-5:30pm. Skills needed:
- Teaching background is a plus for tutors, but not required
- Having knowledge and expertise to teach elementary students
- Ability to engage young people in the learning process
- Computer literate
2. Educating patients about access to healthcare information
Volunteers are sought for both the Hunting Park (4417 N. 6th Street) and Kensington (861 E. Allegheny Avenue) sites to work in clinic waiting rooms to educate patients on the use of Esperanza’s Patient Portal. Training will be provided. Skills needed:
- Spanish is a plus, but not required
- Ability to initiate conversation with patients
- Can learn to demonstrate the benefits of the Patient Portal
- Computer literate
3. Clean Up at Kensington site
Volunteers are sought to help with clean up at our Kensington site (861 E. Allegheny Avenue). We need volunteers for an approximately two hours in the morning picking up trash and debris and completing other clean up tasks around our site and parking lot. Monday through Saturday slots are available. Requirements:
- Willingness to complete this humble task to benefit Esperanza Health Center patients and community
- Ability to follow directions
- Attention to detail
Apply to Volunteer
To apply to serve as a volunteer at Esperanza, please click here.
- If you are a medical or health professions student who is interested in a rotation, preceptorship or shadowing opportunity with us, please visit our Student/Resident Rotations page to learn more.
- Please visit our Medical Student Mentoring Program page to learn more about this mentorship opportunity with Esperanza.