We welcome medical students and residents, as well as physician assistant and nurse practitioner students, for rotation opportunities at Esperanza Health Center. We have extensive experience in precepting students and residents at all levels of training. During their rotation, trainees work primarily at one of Esperanza’s locations by seeing patients with a designated preceptor. The clinical day at Esperanza is from 9 am to 5 pm, Monday-Friday, divided into two half-day patient care sessions.
- Increased competency in providing standard primary medical care in a continuity model, involving both acute and preventive services.
- Increased appreciation for the challenges/barriers to providing healthcare in an urban underserved community, including the impact of substance abuse, mental health disease, poverty and health care access barriers.
- Increased competency in medical Spanish, and in providing culturally-appropriate care to Esperanza’s community.
- Increased appreciation for a model of integrating spiritual care in the medical context.
- Initial Inquiry and Request for Rotation Application and Packet:
Please e-mail our Rotations Coordinator, Emilie Ziebarth, with your name, contact information, medical school or residency program, year of school or residency, type of rotation needed (e.g., family practice, internal medicine, pediatrics), and the specific dates and/or days needed for your rotation. We will contact you and, if the dates requested are available, an application and rotations packet will be emailed to you for completion.